Born on Google Plus


Born on Google Plus
Google plus has given all of us an opportunity – it put people from all over the world in a single room and let us mingle. For some, it meant new opportunities, for others it was a chance to shine and for us it was the beginning of a whole new adventure that started out with a single share. 

One day, simply because I felt like sharing, I posted a workout collage I’d put together earlier that day to use in my training later. Sharing it amongst friends was nothing new for me but by pressing that “share to public” button took it across Google+ and then across the web within 24 hours. Something completely ordinary to me became extraordinary for others, it was simple yet it cut across cultures and borders and it made sense to people from every corner of the world. It had value. 

That day everything changed. It was the beginning of something wonderful, I just didn’t know what yet. They say environment shapes the person and I am guessing that’s exactly what happened to me but it wasn’t my upbringing, it wasn’t the outside world that shaped what I did next – it was the world through Google Plus that influenced my every step from there on. 

Instead of thinking business, I was thinking value. Instead of thinking personal gain, I was thinking about making a difference. I never expected this from myself nor did I set out to change the world or make any kind of impact, it happened gradually one single share at a time, one better choice at a time influenced by everyone surrounding me on Google+. It all helped – people encouraging me but even more so people criticizing me. I learned to respect the work of others as well as improve on my own. Having access to the entire world and different cultures I learned to respect different points of view and listen when someone offered an opinion. It could have never happened if I was operating behind closed doors or surrounded only by my friends who would take pity on my ego. This was only possible because what I did, everything I did, was being watched by people from all over the world. It made me accountable. 

When you are starting something new there are no rules, no guidelines and there is no one to show you the way so I relied on the community to guide me. Eventually, I figured out that none of this was about me but about people on the other side of the screen and their needs. I made that my priority.  That, later on, became the foundation of everything I do today. 

The first post, the string of shares and connecting with others, collaborating on workouts and listening to opinions, shaping and reshaping what I already have. Two long years passed. I was no longer alone, others were now sharing my vision of accessible fitness for everyone. The injection of fresh ideas and invaluable expertise took the fitness project I worked on even further. Together we discovered that fitness don’t have to be expensive or boring, on the contrary – the best thing about it is that it’s neither. It’s fun, it’s exciting and even without any equipment or supervision it is extremely effective. Together we dived into the world of martial arts and weapon’s training, running and bodyweight circuits ranging from light to hellish at times. We brainstormed together, we trained together, we began to reshape the world with everything we did – and it all started out here, on Google Plus. 

Today we are called DAREBEE, an international fitness resource with its own global fitness community and a global following. We have stayed true to the original principals and we ran it as a non-profit, any money we raise goes straight back into the resource. We are all volunteers and we are all equal in making this place happen. We each bring our own expertise to the table and we work together as a community to find answers to all the fitness questions we have. We even have our very own fitness lab where we test theories and run challenges. 

It became somewhat of a unique place where everyone is welcome and there are no borders, no cultural differences and no unaccepted ways to train – we respect everyone and everyone’s routine to a better self. We explore new ways to train and we improve on everything we’ve done so far - our workouts, challenges and program collections keep on growing as well as the community around it. Accessible fitness that started out right here on google plus now changes lives of hundreds of thousands of people all over the world through DAREBEE. 

It all started with a spark, with a single share... but it would not have been enough, not without the Google Plus environment. It was Google Plus that helped, first me and then others, shape it in what it is today – a truly global movement. 

If you think that you will never be able to make any kind of impact in the world, that what you do doesn’t matter – think again. It simply isn’t true, each and every one of us has something to offer to the world and we can all be part of something greater. I do believe that our environment plays a huge role in that – but it’s not down to where you physically are, it’s where you choose to be. 

DAREBEE (darebee.com) was born and it evolved on Google Plus. Without it, there would be no DAREBEE today. I wanted everyone to know that, especially people who make Google Plus happen because, by extension, you brought something as wonderful as DAREBEE about and changed people’s lives for the better, including mine.
Thank you. 

DAREBEE global is an independent fitness resource ran and maintain by volunteers and fitness enthusiasts. It has no ads, no sponsors and it’s maintained exclusively via donations. It has its own global fitness community and it’s a support network, for anyone who’s at the beginning or in the middle of their fitness journey, called The Hive. DAREBEE has its very own crowd-sourced research lab and multiple workshops locally and globally for testing new routines, programs and challenges. At DAREBEE we develop themed workouts as well as more traditional fitness posters, exploring new and fun ways to train through gamification. Having industry experts from all over the world allows us to implement knowledge from different areas of fitness and sports and integrate it into the training we offer – completely free of charge, for everyone who needs it. Our routines are being implemented in schools, summer camps, military facilities and even gyms all over the world. The simplicity of the information we provide allows anyone to dive into a more active lifestyle five minutes after coming across the resource and then maintaining it long after. 

Was your project born on Google Plus? Did your idea / business / movement start out here?   #bornongoogleplus

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hi Everyone

Warning: Sharing That Image Could Get You Banned or Blacklisted